If you operate a business in the Crown Street Mall, our City Centre Management team is available to provide  you with advice and information.

Below is a list of information which may be helpful to you. If you can’t find what you need on this page, please call us on (02) 4227 7111.

We are committed to providing a safe and secure City Centre for the community, retailers and contractors.  For problems with anti-social activities or to report an incident, call Council’s City Centre Security and/or Police:

  • Security 0418 425 154 or (02) 4225 3861
  • Wollongong Central, GPT Security 0411 457 727
  • Police (02) 4226 7899 
  • Emergency Services (Police, Fire, Ambulance) 000

Vehicle Entry to Crown Street Mall & Globe Lane
To ensure pedestrian safety, vehicles restrictions apply to all areas of Crown Street Mall and Globe Lane.  Crown Street Mall is primarily a pedestrian Mall, so vehicle entry permits to this area are strictly limited.

To be eligible for a vehicle entry permit to Globe Lane you must be servicing properties in Globe Lane or Crown Street Mall.  The requirement to access these areas must be approved by City Centre Management and may include activities such as emergency trade work, construction work, special events, cash handling, or delivery of oversized/heavy weighted items.

To enquire about a vehicle entry permit contact City Centre Management on 4227 7111 or email citycentre@wollongong.nsw.gov.au

Work on roads and footpaths – Crown Street Mall & Globe Lane
All works within the Crown Street Mall and Globe Lane area require consultation with City Centre Management and may also require an application to Open and/or Occupy Roadway/Footpath , prior to any works commencing.  Vehicle entry permits related to construction works and times for access to undertake the work in Crown Street Mall can be requested from City Centre Management.

You can obtain an initial fee quote from Council before submitting an application and associated fees. Please email the following information to roadoccs@wollongong.nsw.gov.au

  • Exact location of works and type of work to be undertake
  • How much  of the footpath/road do you need to occupy.  Please provide measurements and a sketch of the area
  • What plant and/or equipment will be used on-site to undertake the work eg, boom lift, skip bin, ladders, etc.
  • Details of any temporary fencing or hoarding that will need to be erected to do the work.

Following acceptance of a fee quote, a full application to Council along with any associated fees will need to be submitted before proceeding.  Once issued, permits are valid for one month.

Appropriate approvals must be obtained before erecting signs on private property in the City Centre.  To find out  what signs are permitted in the City Centre and the approval process, please refer to Council’s Policy  – Chapter C1 of the Wollongong Development Control Plan.  Any signage to be erected or material to be distributed must be approved by the City Centre Management team.  Signage must not be attached to any fixture, including tree guards or poles, without the express permission of the City Centre Management.

Business Waste Collection and Recycling
As a business owner or operator, you are responsible for waste generated by your business and ensuring it is disposed of properly and collected by a commercial waste provider.

Public Waste Bins
All public garbage bins in the City Centre are maintained by Council (for public use, not business use). For urgent rubbish issues or overflowing bins please contact Council on (02) 4227 7111 or email customerservice@wollongong.nsw.gov.au

Smoke Free
Crown Street Mall, including Globe Lane, is a smoke free zone.  In addition, under the Smoke-Free Environment Act 2000, the NSW State Government has introduced smoking laws that prohibit smoking in the following areas:

  • within 4 metres of a pedestrian access point to a building
  • within 10 metres of children’s play equipment
  • public swiming pools and sport grounds
  • public transport stops and stations
  • commercial outdoor dinging ares in licensed venues, restaurants and cafes areas
  • within 4 metres of a pedestrian entrance to or exit from a licensed venue, restaurant or cafe.

The laws introduced by the NSW State Government are enforceable by NSW Health Inspectors.  For more information visit the NSW Health Tobacco website.  If you think a smoking ban has been broken call the Tobacco information Line on 1800 357 412.

Disability access and trading along Crown Street and the Mall
Providing access means supporting people with a disability to participate equally in all aspects of community life. This includes providing independent, equitable and dignified access to public spaces and places.

The Disability Discrimination Act 1992 (DDA) is the law that provides protection against discrimination on the basis of disability for everyone in Australia.  The DDA makes it against the law for public places to be inaccessible for people with a disability and this includes access to public footpaths, walkways and spaces, and pedestrian malls.

Business owners should ensure that obstacles such as A-Frame signs, merchandise or advertising signs, merchandise racks, merchandise tables, and outdoor dining tables and chairs are not placed within the accessible path of travel.  For more information visit the People with Disability page on Council’s website.

The Crown Street Mall CCTV cameras are owned by Wollongong City Council.  The cameras record 24/7 and are monitored by Council’s City Centre security contractor.  The system is guided by the CCTV Policy which is available on Councils website.

If your property or business has been affected by graffiti vandalism, please report it to Council on (02) 4227 7111 and to the Police Assistance Line on 131 444.